After what has been far too long since SPSUK, I have finally uploaded the slides for this session. They are available on slideshare. Enjoy!
Last Saturday I had the great pleasure of attending SharePoint Saturday UK 2011, organised by Tony Pounder, Mark Macrae (both from Intelligent Decisioning) and Brett Lonsdale (from Lightning Tools). I think everyone who attended agreed that the day was a huge success – a friend of mine commented on how welcoming and friendly we are as a community which was great to hear (he isn’t a SharePoint person, although he is coming around to the idea of learning itJ). Sometimes I take this fact for granted and it’s good to be reminded of how tight-knit we are.
I think Todd Klindt deserves a big shout out, as he flew over from the US to deliver a thought provoking keynote and an awesome session on PowerShell (oh, and he’s a nice guy). I also met Anders Rask who presented a compelling set of reasons to use Web Templates which – as someone who is a little wary of Visual Studio – I just about managed to graspJ. Paul Grimley rounded off my day with a comprehensive set of considerations for global SharePoint deployments – Paul’s discussion around performance over the WAN was particularly interesting.
I was lucky enough to be offered the opportunity to speak on the day which – whilst a little nerve wracking – proved to be every bit as exciting as I had hoped.
The session title was “Dodge the bullet: 10 ways to avoid common SharePoint administration mistakes” and the Twitter hashtag was #SPSUK08.
If you were in the session – and even if you weren’t – please feel free to post any questions or feedback you might have.
I received several great queries from the audience, and while I tried to answer them as best I could during the 60 minute session, I may follow up on over the next few weeks:
- Will our environment start creaking before we hit the prescribed Web app limits?
- What should the SQL server recovery model be set to on a development environment?
- Are host-named site collections equivalent to host headers at the IIS site level?
The questions above are paraphrased so if I’m off the mark please let me know.
- Web [Application] limits in SP2010 – keep it low!
- Bitesize Video Overview: Host-named Site Collections in SharePoint 2010
- Determining NUMA node boundaries for modern CPUs
- Configuration-Only Backup and Restore in SharePoint 2010 (Sean McDonough’s blog – it’s more detailed and therefore useful than mine)
- SPDocKit Web site (the SharePoint farm configuration backup tool I mention during the session)